Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My next installment (November 19, 2001)

G'day everyone,

It seems like forever since I last wrote, so much has happened. It's funny how things can change in a matter of moments. Well, I have finally found myself a job. I'm working as a, I quote, "casual function waitstaff person" for a catering company based at the New South Wales State Library downtown. I work functions there, as well as the Botanical Gardens, the Mint, Nokia (as
in the phone) and few other sites. I'm also an occassional waitstress at the restaurants at the facilities except it sucks b/c it isn't customary to tip here (I made a whopping $4.80 in tips last week).

I basically bullshitted to get the job, told the woman I had tons of experience working premieres and other functions through the film company I was working with in the States. But it worked and two days later I was given my white servant coat and the fun began...

So I've only been working a week so far but they are crazy ass long days. Man, I didn't realize how much manual labor was involved either! My weak ass arms aren't handling carrying around heavy trays of wine all that well but I heard I'll be getting really buff so I'm excited about that. Maybe I'll finally get those triceps that I've always dreamed about...

So work is great. I've met tons of cool people and every day it's kind of like going to a different
party. The guests find me very amusing with my funny accent and all. One guy starting calling me "Texas" even though I told him I was from California. It's fun watching people get progressively more intoxicated as the nite stretches out. Drunk Aussies are the most entertaining people I've ever met. The free food is fun too though we only get a meal after 5 hours so I fainted on my first nite, yeah way to make a good first impression Laura.

So enough about my job. Um well I kind of met a guy last week who I have been seeing way too much of and yeah he's an American. I know a bunch of you who know about this have been giving me a lot of shit for not hooking up with the Aussies but yeah, well I won't go into much detail. And I didn't stray too far from home, he's from Long Beach. But he's heading back on
Thanksgiving so it will be over soon. The story of my life.

So bascially my life lately has been the guy and the job. But I also managed to go to a nifty little
backpackers expo this past weekend and got brocheres of all the places that I can't afford to travel too (having the job will help that though). Took a boat over to Manly across the harbor (an awesome beach area, kind of like Bondi). Saw Apocolypse Now redux with one of my new mates (man that movie was way too long, over 3 and a half hours). Bought some funky beads for our family room. Killed a few more cockroaches. Eaten tons of Thai food (I know I said the sushi was good here but the Thai food is even better, I am in Asian food heaven). Became obsessedwith a town called Nimbin up north which is now first on my list of places to visit (Jeff, did you go there
when you were in Byron?) thanks to my loadie psuedo-boyfriend. The usual....

Miss you all and have a great Thanksgiving! We are going to try to recreate one of our own this weekend though I can't find pumpkin pie filling here for the life of me. Damnit!!!

Take care,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment