Tuesday, April 14, 2009

First Leg of New Zealand (July 9, 2003)

The following blog posts were written years ago while I was in living in Australia when I was studying for my Masters and previously, when I was in Sydney for work. These are emails I sent to my friends and family.

Hey everyone!

I'm so sorry I am sending you this email instead of a nice personal one but I have gotten quite a few emails from friends concerned why they haven't heard from me for awhile (I like you all much more than the ones who haven't written at all).

This is the email my friend Ruth sent to her friends back in England about what we
have done so far. I've done everything she writes about EXCEPT skydiving and dancing on tables and staying out until 6:30am b/c I'm an old loser.

First off, NZ is the coolest country and all of you need to come here at some point. Since Ruth wrote we had a few days in Wellington but Ruth got the flu so we spent the first nite in the after hours emergency care. We arrived via ferry in the South Island today and are staying at a hostel equipped with a hot tub, sauna and I scored a double bed! Whopee!!! Some of our new English buddies are cooking a full on roast dinner right now too. Doesn't get much better huh? Will try
to write to all of you soon. Miss you guys!

L ;)



Okay I promised that I would send an update to everyone what I had been up to in the freezing cold weather of New Zealand and as this is the end of the first week I thought that I would fill you in on what has been happening so far.

For those of you that don't know we are travelling on Kiwi Experience which is basically a bus that goes through the North and South Island and you hop on and off, lots of backpackers, mostly english, which is cool as I was soooo homesick last week and rang home about 6 times. I am travelling with my ex american housemate Loz and Ronak her new american housemate and also Sue, my Thai housemate, though she dumped us today and left for another town, not a problem as she was just being soo miserable the whole time it was depressing the life out of us.

Wed 2 July - Syd to Auckland Day 1
Arrived late at night, Sue didn't have a visa and immigration nearly didn't let her in. Loz and I were drunk on the plane and we discovered that our hotel was in the worst seedy part of town with a v.sulbrious chinese karoke with blue lighting.

Thu 3 July - Auckland Day 2
Hung about in the "trendy" area of Auckland, Parnell for both brunch and dinner. Went over to Newmarket the next suburb for the tour of the Lion Breweries, v.educational and you get tasters and watched Charlies Angels 2!

Fri 4 July - Auckland Day 3
Met Laura's Kiwi buddy Randall. He took us up the Sky Tower, tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere, went for loads of good food (as usual!) Had a tour of Aukland Uni where he is doing his PhD, had a drive out to the freezing west coast beaches, it is soo cold in this country in winter and went for beers in the Union Bar. Laura and I also managed a champagne dinner, our one extravagance, well who said backpackers had to eat baked beans!

Sat 5 July - Auckland to Whitianga Day 4
Jumped on the Kiwi Bus, met up with Ronak. Weather was poor kept p**sing it down so stayed on the bus a lot. Went to Cathedral Cove, a beautiful beach which is v.similar to the scenary of Thailand. Arrived at the hostel 10 in one room and one shower and toilet. Just ended up going to the one local and having dinner and beers. God some of these places are remote villages!!

Sun 6 July - Whitianga to Rotorua Day 5
Went to the Mauri Centre, saw the themal reserves, hot mud pools etc. The whole town smells of Sulphur. Saw the Kiwi Bird!! Hung out at the hostel in the outdoor naturally heated mineral pool - BEST! Went to a hangi that night a traditional mauri dinner cooked in the ground and saw a display of the Mauri culture, singing and dancing, chanting etc. Absolutely amazing and feel v.cultural. Ended up in the hostel bar for an hour drinking beer and mixing with the other dudes.

Mon 7 July - Rotorua to Waitomo Day 6
Went Black Water Rafting in the Caves, basically togged up in wetsuits in the freezing cold and darkness. Was amazing and v.exhilarating. Spent the night at the hostel, which was more like a ski lodge.

Tue 8 July - Waitomo to Taupo Day 7
Skydived at 12,000ft - AGAIN!!! Loved it very cool, such a buzz, turning into an extreme freak!!
Got stupidly drunk with everyone, danced on tables in the hostel bar and got to bed at 6.30am ;)

Wed 9 July - Taupo Day 8
Went to the Taupo Hot Springs and Health Spa, sat in the thermal heated mineral pools, went for a massage and got over the hangover... good girlie afternoon.

Sorry this is really short but impersonal but soo much has gone off and I have had no time to write an email as some of the places we atya in are really remote. The further south we go the colder it gets and I am already on three layers. Heading towards Wellington for the weekend. Tomorrow should be going white water rafting and horse treking, this is the most adventurous holiday ever and I am seriously turning into an extreme freak.

Love you all
Take Care and will write again soon
Ruthie
X
PS - please don't send joke emails, forwards etc until August as I can't access email that often and the email clogs up and fills up the limit.
PPS - sorry for spelling errors its 10pm and I have had 3 hours sleep ;-(

No comments:

Post a Comment