Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Aussie update (March 31, 2003)

Hey all,

I decided that it was about time I sent a little update on what's been going down down under. First I apologize for being slack with my emails. It sucks not having a computer and I can usually only tolerate about 10 minutes in the computer lab in the village without wanting to beat the shit out of the loud and obnoxious American exchange students who think a computer lab is for telling everyone within ear reach about how wasted you got the night before and how many guys (or girls or both) you picked up and how many times you spewed and whose bed you ended up in. I think I'm getting old...

So I'm about a month into my classes and I hate to say they are shit ass boring. It's all theory this semester and the classes that interest me don't start until August. It's been a bit of a shock to the system to be studying and writing papers again. I don't want to bore you to tears talking about my classes and how I've already had to give a class presentation on Waltz's neo-realist theory and how states exist in an anarchic society, but I do want you to feel sorry for me. Oh wait, it was my choice to go back to grad school. I often find myself spacing out in my classes only to stop and tell myself that I should pay attention, not because I want good grades but because I'm paying for this.

Enough about classes. My flatmates...I was really lucky and got put in a house with all post grad students. First, there is Ruth who has become my closest friend here. She's 24 and from the midlands of England. Then there is Sue, 23 from Thailand who learns all her English from Julia Roberts movies and is constantly cooking Thai food and stinking up my room which is right next to the kitchen. Just a little insight into Sue's personality. The other day she said to me, "Ruth is sweet, you are cool and I am pretty!" Um, ok. Then there is Patrick, a dental student who was born in Hong Kong but grew up in Sydney, a really cool guy. And lastly there is Alpha. I don't even know where to begin with this one. He's 31 from Hong Kong, looks like he's 15, speaks 8 languages, drinks vodka, has been to 80 countries including Antartica, is a lecturer here at the university, a closet homosexual, and an anal psychotic.

So that's my life for you. I'm still desperately searching for a job because I'm so broke but thanks to the magic of credit cards, I booked myself a ticket to New Zealand over the July break with Ruth. Also driving up to Byron Bay up the coast for a few days over Easter to learn how to surf and be a hippie for a few days. Oh! One more little story for y'all. Went out with some people the other nite for dinner and one had too much to drink and beat up a kid here at the village who was talking to his girlfriend. Broke his jaw, his nose, really f'd up his face, he had to have plastic surgery yesterday. I had just gone to bed when it happened but Ruth witnessed the whole thing (I only got to see the bloody afermath). I had to go with her to make a statement at the police station which took 3 frickin hours on Sunday. But I got to ride home in the cage in the back of the cop van which made it all worthwhile. The guy has been charged with "grievous bodily harm" and will probably end up behind bars. The fun never ends I tell you.

Miss you all, come visit me. xoxoL

No comments:

Post a Comment