Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's hot (December 28, 2001)

Hi everyone,

Yeah I know it's been ages since I last wrote but life has been a bit crazy and everytime I sit down to write I feel too overwhelmed and give up. And if I recallcorrectly, the last time I wrote I was bitching my head off about the post office asshole so I will try to be a bit less dramatic and annoying in this one.

Anyway, I hope you are all having a great holiday season. I still can't get over the fact that it's summer and we just had Christmas. I feel like I'm living in some alternate universe. My Christmas was really nice, Ashley and I went over to a friend's apartment complex where they had a big old traditional turkey dinner outside in the sweltering heat with all of the neighbors. We got drunk off of cheap champagne and played UNO with the coolest 8 year old Hayden. He is actually from the States but has an Aussie accent because he's been living with his Aussie grandmother for the past year who everyone calls "Granny", she has to be the coolest grandmother I've ever met...drinks, swears, the whole bit. The most memorable part of the evening was when Hayden, who had been playing his new computer SIMS game, comes over to me as I was attempting to have an intelligent conversation about something or other with someone and whispers in my ear, "Laura, you have to come in here! The SIMS guy keeps grabbing his dick!" It's the little things.

Man, so much has happened since I have last written but since I have waited so long to write it all has kind of meshed together. So I will try the best I can to update you, bear with me.

OK after the post office man yelled at me I got free tickets to see the band LIVE and backstage passes because my mom tutor's the manger's kids back home. We were sitting next to these twin 17 year old girls who were screaming their heads off the entire time so being the good samaritan that I rarely am, I told them that I'd try to get them backstage when the concert was over. To make a long story short, they got in and when the band came out the perverted married lead singer took an enormous liking to them and invited them to the after party in the city. And the pathetic part of the whole thing is that they had to get US in. Anyway, it was pretty cool, especially for Ashley because LIVE is her all time favorite band and we got lots of pictures with them all. I couldn't talk Ashley into pinching the lead singer's ass though, I thought it would make a nice photo.

After the whole LIVE extravaganza Ashley won tickets to the Vanilla Sky premiere on the radio. So we got to dress up and do the whole red carpet deal and watch a free movie. I was more excited with the free Cadburry white chocolate bar on our seat though. We saw Tom, Penelope and Cameron Crowe. It was fun watching Tom kiss Aussie ass so they wouldn't hate him for leaving Nicole, Australia's pride and joy. After the movie we went over to the Opera House to try to crash the after party. After about an hour of begging everyone leaving for their passes, this nice roadie/circus performer/gymnast/actor/stoner that I struck up a
conversation with, accosted two people on their way out and got us some passes. But by the time we got in everyone had pretty much cleared out so we downed a couple of glasses of champagne and I stole a pineapple (yes Cindy, it has become a bonafide tradition now) and we left.

So yeah, we were living the good life for a couple of weeks. What else...oh, we had our company Christmas party at the Botanical Gardens where I found Ashley passed out on the floor of the bathroom after having passed out outside myself and had to get 2 friends and a stranger help me take her home where the stranger proceeded to steal all of the money out of my wallet before he left the next morning. It was only $30 though and I was more annoyed that he ate the entire bag of Pirate's Booty that my mom had sent over from the States.

So that's pretty much what's gone on. The job at the catering company has died down so I am starting a new 2 week temp job the day after New Years at a company in the city called NRMA, kind of like AAA. Filing, faxing, stuff like that. I'm actually looking forward to a change and not having to deal with drunk idiots and carrying around 50 lb trays and getting yelled at for not knowing how to properly box a table even after having been taught at least 10 times and being asked if I'm Scandanavian, Scottish or Irish every time I open my mouth. Tell me what this means to you...this hairy drunk guy asks me if I'm married at one function. I go, "Ummm...no, why do you ask?" He answers, "You just seem so settled." How someone carrying around a tray of salmon crepes can come across as "settled" beats the shit out of me.

I can't believe this year is almost over. Come January my dad and stepmother are coming to visit and then my LA roommate and friend Cindy comes right after that so I am looking forward to showing them around my adopted homeland. I'm going to pop down and meet my dad in Adelaide at the end of the month and drive the Great Ocean Road with them to Melbourne and then spend a few days visiting some friends there before I finish up my work visa on Valentine's Day and switch over to a 3 month tourist visa. So everyone who hasn't yet, book your ticket now and come visit.

Have a wonderful New Years and all the best to each and every one of you.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment