Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Living in a land down under (October 22, 2001)

(This is actually the 2nd letter back home...can't find the first)

Hey y'all,

Well I have finally made it to an internet cafe for the next installment of my Aussie adventure! For those of you who are hearing from me for the first time, I will update you on what's going down.

I have found myself a PHAT apartment less than 5 minutes from Australia's most famous surfing beach in an area called Bondi. It is truly amazing. I walk out my door and there are bars, cafes, shops, the whole bit. Man, what a change after living in the ghettos of USC and the trenches of Hollywood. My roomie is an awesome Virginian who can drink more than anyone I've ever seen in my entire life and still make complete sentences and give cab drivers directions home.

So last week pretty much consisted of settling myself into the apartment after crashing at my friend's friend George's apartment for the first 5 days. Because my friend is also named Laura, I was dubbed "mini-me" and what's really scary is that I have begun to answer to the name. Anyway, the poor guy was probably so glad to get me out of his apartment so he could crack on to the other Laura who he has fallen madly in lust with much to her annoyance.

In the midst of settling into my new Australian life, Laura, George and I managed to make it down to the Southern Highlands, about halfway between Sydney and Canberra, the capital. We took a little bush hike up to Fitzroy Falls, an amazing waterfall surrounded by beautiful mountains. On the walk were signs describing the animals that inhabit the area, including my favorite, the ethereal wombat. Though we didn't see any wombats, we managed to keep ourselves amused with our newfound knowledge that a platypus "suckles its young but has no nipples."

On our way out of the area I suddenly became distracted by a big furry blob approaching on the right side of the road. As we approached my curiosity turned to horror. It was a dead wombat lying on it's back. I made George pull over so I could get a good look and realizing that I'm destined to probably never see a real wombat, snapped a few pictures of the poor little bugger.

In the last few days I've been playing tourist with Laura until she leaves next week and I have to start looking for a job. Went to a blowhole that wasn't blowing for the first time in like 3 years, bought some tickets to a performance at the Opera House for this weekend and contemplated buying tickets to a show entitled "The Puppetry of the Penis" which promises a night of the most amazing genital oragami, gone to some outdoor markets, took a 2 hour walk each way down the coast from Bondi to Coogee in sandals that hurt my feet like a mother, eaten a ton of sushi and spent way too much money on booze.

Well that's my life so far. I hope all of you are well and happy and will come visit me.

Take care,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment